This is the bi-weekly visible open thread. There are hidden threads every few days here. Post about anything you want, ask random questions, whatever. Also:
1. Lots of people scored the predictions they posted for 2016; the ones I can find are JonGunnarsson, Anatoly Karlin, Anders Sandberg, and E. Harding – sorry if I missed anybody. And the Eukaryote Writes Blog offers Tips For Throwing A New Years’ Prediction Party.
2. Ozy from Thing of Things now has a Patreon. And Quillette, a magazine on sociobiology, academic freedom, and politically incorrect science (which I’ve linked to here a few times) has a Patreon too. See Jerry Coyne endorsing their fundraising drive here. Remember, if you don’t like someone who’s asking for money, don’t donate; there’s no need to be a jerk about it in the comments.
3. Speaking of Patreon, I’m going to try posting some shorter things here sometimes. If a post is unusually short, I won’t charge patrons until I’ve accumulated enough unusually short posts that they add up to one normal-length post (probably two or three).
4. Thanks to everyone who came out to UCI to attend the Irvine meetup last week. Hopefully you all had as good a time as I did.
5. Since I just got done posting an Unsong chapter and I’m still in the relevant frame of mind, comment of the week is Jaskologist’s theory of magic.