This is the semimonthly open thread. Post about anything you want, ask random questions, whatever. Also:
1. Please do not email me anything that could be posted as a blog comment. Some people say they are emailing me their comments because they “want to make sure I see them”. But posts on here can get 500 or more comments. If 5% of commenters decide to email me their comments instead, that means 25 emails a day, which are annoying and which I mostly just delete.
2. Likewise, I appreciate your concern for my anonymity, but there’s no need to email me whenever I post something that would allow a clever reader to search out my real name. I’m comfortable with certain calculated risks as long as they don’t result in an immediate Google connection.
3. Comment of the week is Topher Hallquist’s suggestion regarding that book dedication in the last links post. You may remember that some libertarians writing a book on markets in everything offered to auction off the dedication to the highest bidder. Topher has suggested a dedication “To Lenin, who said, ‘We will hang the capitalists with the rope that they sell us.’” and some other commenters have chipped in some cash and now it looks like they’re going to make it happen. But if that’s not serious enough for you, Furrfu has some good numbers on solar versus traditional energy sources, including that solar power causes more deaths than nuclear (apparently from falling off roofs when installing it). Also of interest: Athrelon on the state of cryonics, both the problems with current methods and the research being done into improving them.
4. I’m continuing to expect an SSC meetup in Berkeley on Sunday, 3/1. Expect more information on this next Open Thread. I’ll probably also be meeting some people in Stanford or the South Bay around that time. Again, next thread.
5. Thank you for donating to Multiheaded’s GoFundMe campaign last month. She raised about $2500. We’re now working on ways to transfer that money to Russia. I’ll update you once that’s done.
Remember, no race and gender on the open thread. Ozy has a parallel open thread over at their place for all that discussion.